Are you positive that you no longer want kids? Vasectomies are one of the most effective forms of contraception. Nearly 100% effective as a contraceptive after successful procedures, only .1% of procedures experience failure. And if you change your mind down the road, while not guaranteed, there is a chance that you could get a vasectomy reversed.
If you no longer want to worry about keeping up with other forms of contraception, a vasectomy could be the right choice for you. The procedure is safe, quick, and cost-effective. While condoms would cost you $168 a year when averaged over a 10 year period, a vasectomy would only be $86 a year.
If you’re thinking about getting a vasectomy, here are more facts to consider.
- The procedure only takes 30 minutes. You can even avoid stitches with a no-scalpel vasectomy.
- Recovery only takes a few days for aching and swelling to decrease. Sexual activity can typically resume one week after the procedure.
- Semen will still contain sperm for several weeks or months after the procedure, in which case other forms of contraception are still needed. A doctor will conduct a follow up test in order to determine when you no longer ejaculate sperm.
- Orgasms will be just as pleasurable and ejaculate will appear the same.
- Vasectomies have no impact on libido, testosterone levels, or the physical ability to achieve an erection. Complications with erectile dysfunction may still occur regardless of the procedure.
With any procedure, there is always some risk involved. Complications may include prolonged swelling, pain, or fluid build up. However, long-term complications and pain are rare. According to the Mayo Clinic, increased risk for certain cancers, permanent damage to sexual organs, and severe pain are unfounded concerns.
The choice to get a vasectomy requires serious thought and time. No decision should be made before consulting a physician. However, in the end, vasectomies have numerous benefits when compared to traditional birth control methods.