the Urban Dater is all about the search for love, lust, and beyond in the digital age. If you have a dating story to share we not only want to hear about it but we want to publish it.
Below are our guidelines for both guest content contributors and advertisers. You each know who you are. Don't play us. We're happy to help everyone get the most they can out of our platform.
- We seek purely original content only. No re-posts of previously published articles or other folks’ work.
- Any topic related to dating, sex, or relationships. Use the search function on the site to dig around and make sure that you aren’t delivering the exact same advice we’ve all heard 100 times. Make it interesting!
- Each story needs to have an arc. Mere musings on the state of your dating life won't cut it.
- Your story should have a strong sense of place. They should feel strongly rooted in where ever the story takes place.
- Must be at least 500 words (ideally in the 800-1000 word range!).
- Your story must be factually correct and about your own life. No exaggeration, no fictional or composite characters, no hyperbole for dramatic effect.
- Some style notes:
- ONLY ONE SPACE AFTER PERIODS. Anything with double spaces after a period will get the article kicked back to you.
- Spell out all numbers up to 100.
- Consult Grammarbook for any grammar/punctuation questions you have
- Include sources If you want to talk about your experience or an opinion–go for it! But if you want to state facts, make sure to back them up! Link to other articles! Make it personal, or act like a true expert–we love both!
- Include a photo that relates to your post that we can add. The photo should be a minimum of 800 pixels wide to fit with our format. Always give credit and source for the image you’re using. Be sure that you have a license to use the image for the post you submit. Creative Commons licenses allow usage as long as you attribute the source and give credit to the rights holder. Royalty-Free doesn’t mean you can use the image for free; you still need to get permission to use the license.
- Set up a Gravatar account and link it to the email you send us your story from.
- Send us a link to your prior work.
- Proofread your post. Only Alex slides by without proofreading, and Betty doesn’t have time to check your work as well as his.
- That said, expect some edits–it’s not that your work isn’t wonderful, but having a second set of eyes do a quick skim and fix up any lingering spelling/grammar errors, as well as tailoring to fit our audience and adjusting for SEO is pretty standard.
- Have fun! This is an elective process and shouldn’t feel like homework, so enjoy it.
Are you an advertiser? A content marketer? A robot?
If you are interested in advertising a product or service, please review our Advertiser Guidelines here.
Although we receive so many submissions that it’s not possible for us to publish them all, we so appreciate the time, energy, and creativity given to us in every single one. Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us, and we hope to see you around the Urban Dater soon!
A Note for Content Creators/Writers
the Urban Dater is here for YOU. We WANT you to succeed and use our platform to amplify your voice if that's your intent. Or we want to be a safe space where you can publish your works about dating, sex, and relationships. We understand you have things that you wish to promote. That's a-okay with us. Please let us know. We'll allow that free of charge. But you kinda have to have your shit together. Meaning, you should have a website, the inklings of a following, a somewhat viable social media presence etc.
- If I purchase sponsored content will I get a ‘do-follow' link? — Answer: Yes, you do!
- Will my sponsored content include tags or categories marking it as an advertisement? — Answer: Probably. We're supposed to as not doing so hurts our site (thus your advertising investment).
- Will my sponsored content stay on your site forever? — Answer: If you have infinite budget you can have infinite placement. Articles are placed for a year. We may pull your article (without notice) if it is linking to toxic domains that are hurting our site.
If you’re providing a simple article to us (meaning you’re not promoting a product or service) fill out the form below. If you’d like to talk about advertising or promoting a product or service (sponsored post), use this form to get in touch with us. If you submit an article that we deem to be sponsored or promotional we'll delete it without notice.
This form is for new authors who HAVEN'T written for the Urban Dater before. If you've already contributed content to us in the past please login here
Submit your Guest Post here
For more information on rights and usage, please give our Terms and Conditions page a read through.