Happiness is an odd thing. What makes me happy won't necessarily make anyone else happy. I'd like to see Steve-O direct the next Star Wars trilogy. I'm probably alone in that thought. That's okay. Because I have to live with me. The rest of you jerks don't!
Happiness is what you make of it and my post about what 2012 has taught me has gotten me all introspective and shit. True fact, Holmes. I've been thinking, what could I do to be happier in 2013. As I've reflected on my happiness a lot of late, this is perhaps because I was on my 17th consecutive hour of watching the “Dog Whisperer” on GaiamTV.
So instead of tell you lot what YOU can do to find more happiness in 2013, I'll tell you what this a-hole is gonna do instead.
- Appreciate what I got – Just over a year ago, I was working a butthole job that sucked the soul right out of my face. Painful right? I hated what I did and what I did hated me. There was no “win” in that situation. Why did I do it? Because it paid me well… Very well. But I lost that job and fallen into doing what I love. Which is freelancing and writing shit on the Urban Dater. I don't make what I used to, but I'm happy. Really happy. And even when times are tight, I need to remember that.
- Find happiness in others – People gather for random things. A baby's birthday, some other jerk's birthday or a macaroni and cheese-off. I've been a hermit the past few months. And that's not good. I'm not happy when I'm like that. I come home from the office where I was working, and do more work still. Lame. Getting out and being around the people you love is important. After all,” friends are the family you choose,” said a wise man to me.
- Watch something happy/useful…Like Yoga – I love ‘The Walking Dead.' Amazing show. It stresses the shit out of me. ‘Homeland' is another show I like that stresses me out, too. I could take some time and level-up on my Yoga and stream something from GaiamTV instead. As a big dude and a runner, my body is a P.o.S. most of the time. I've recently taken up an interest in Yoga to help with that. I've gone through a couple streaming videos from Gaiam so far. While I can't bend my face behind my knee yet, I'm happier and less stressed-out. Just a note, GaiamTV offers new signups a 10 day free trial period. So get all up-ons that deal, y'all. Psst! It also signs you up into a drawing, too!
- Do something for somebody – I don't have a lot of time to do things for myself, let alone others. I make time to run for me. I do make time to volunteer about once a month. Also, I give people my knowledge and my expertise in Web Dev. and other related subjects by organizing WordPress meetups. I don't get paid. But it does make me happy and I get to help people out in the process. Hyper victory for everyone!
- Simplify – For me, this is counter-intuitive. I love gadgets and tools. But I would say many of the things I do are not efficient. That sucks. I pride myself on efficiency. But I'm not. I add steps and layers to my day to day tasks and my processes. Also, simplify relationships. That is, start cutting people out of your life that drain on you… Or let them weed your garden for you, if they're being a butt-hole. For too long I've allowed relationships to fester and consume me… As Roberto Duran said: “No mas!!” Stress comes from a number of places; you don't need it coming from the people you love and are supposed to love you, too. Seems shitty… Well, it's because it is. You always have a choice, as I do. I choose to cut or be cut and let it stand.