The Anatomy of a Good Wingman
The Wingman is as undervalued today as he was yesterday. A good Wingman makes possible the impossible pursuit of that hottie at the club or social event. Yes, a good Wingman makes for a great evening. However, not just anyone is a good fit for the duties that are asked of a Pro Wingman. You need to have the tools to get the job done and do it right!
First off many of us hold on to the notion that the Wingman is there to “land on the grenade,” thus opening a clear path to victory for the “Ace” to get the girl aka “the Target.” While this notion is true, to an extent, it’s somewhat a somewhat dated notion.
The Wingman is a versatile tool that can be used in a number of situations by an “Ace” that knows how to use him properly.
To understand how to properly use a Wingman it’s important to really understand what a good Wingman is and what he does.
- A good Wingman always knows the object of the “Ace’s” erection. That is, the Wingman always knows the score and always knows which gal or group to engage in.
- A good Wingman is an excellent opener. Your Wingman shouldn’t have a problem approaching a group of cackling women and getting comfortable with the conversation and bring you in. Your Wingman should be able to smoothly hang at your side and engage these women at the same time as you.
- A good Wingman shuns the spotlight. Your Wingman doesn’t dominate the conversation, he finds ways to talk you up and keeps the conversation and fun times rolling and is careful not to outshine his “Ace.”
- A good Wingman knows when to slow your roll. Your Wingman should be able to calm you down if you’re getting too nervous or too anxious. The Wingman is kind of like “Little Mac’s” trainer in Mike Tyson’s Punch Out… Well, kind of, he’s not some creepy dude with a towel around his neck giving you a neck massage. Your Wingman inspires confidence in you and should emulate qualities that you admire where it concerns picking up on the ladies.
- A good Wingman always has his eyes on the thighs… er Prize! It’s a delicate balance that the Wingman must play. He must be careful not to outshine his Ace, for sure. However, he can’t seem “safe” or too “friendly.” No, the Wingman can hang back but must promote sex tension; he must plant the idea that, while he may f*ck you gently, he’d still f*ck you just the same. This is especially critical for…
- You guessed it; a Good Wingman will always, always land on that “grenade.” There are going to be women that your Ace targets that have friends that you wouldn’t give a second glance to. It is likely that these unsavory vixens will try to steal the target away from your Ace. The Good Wingman runs interference and keeps occupied those who might cock-block their Ace’s best effort. This means chatting these women up, buying them drinks, dancing with them, kissing them and getting down and durty with them.
- A good Wingman never loses his wings when the pressure is on, kids.
Online Dating News & Advice Right in Your Inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Notice and European users agree to the data transfer policy.
I have a question. Do you think it's possible for women to be good wingmen…well wingwomen? I know some men prefer to have a girl with them and can think of many reasons why a girl could be a better choice. However, at the end of the night the wingwoman isn't bangin' any bitches, well, unless she's a Lesbian….but you know what I mean. So, does this pose too big a problem?
I think that women can ABSOLUTELY be great wingwomen, er, persons; wingpersons!!! I really do. I don't see it posing a big problem. The point here is for the wingwoman to open a dialogue and gain trust of the desired woman. Sure, she'll need to talk up the guy she's there with, but, in all, I think it's an advantage.
I have been out with a female friend of mine that was good at this, she was a great wingwoman. I've gotten numbers in part because she was able to do the most important thing and open a conversation. That's huge! However, as a guy, you still have to be able to do your part and lead the conversation once introduced.