So you snagged a date with your dream girl. How are you going to make this the date of her dreams? Here’s a list of 10 things that will help you out tremendously on your first date.
- Have a reservation. Choose a general restaurant. Or better yet, ask her what she likes to eat. Don’t take her to Angus barn if she doesn’t eat beef or a seafood spot when she’s allergic to seafood. Do your research before making the reservation.
2. Pick her up. Walk to her door to get her. And if you really want to score points, open her car door. These might seem like cliché traditional dating styles, but they’re clichés for a reason.
- Sit on the opposite side of the table from her. You want to be able to make eye contact! And if you sit down next to her without her asking you to, it’s just plain weird. No one likes that couple that sits side by side.
- Ask questions. Don’t talk about yourself the whole time. This might seem obvious but you’d be surprised by the number of guys who talk out of nervousness, never letting the girl get a word in. Don’t be one of those guys. If you’re really into her than show it by asking her questions about herself. And not shallow, finger food party questions either. You have her to yourself, ask meaningful questions- get to know her!
- Don’t keep asking if she’s having a good time. Be attentive but not overly doting! You should definitely make sure she is comfortable but asking her over and over again if she’s having a good time, will surely make her uncomfortable.
- Don’t ask whether you can kiss her at the end of your date. Use your instincts. Feel this one out. If you think she wants a kiss than go for it boldly. But don’t ask for one. That’s just awkward.
- Have something planned for after dinner. In case it goes really well.
- Don’t let that plan be a party. That’s far too overwhelming for any girl on a first date. Besides it’s about getting to know her- remember?
- Ask for her number and make plans for a second date before you leave your first one. If you want to see her again, make it known before you leave her. This eliminates a lot of the post date anxiety over whether the two of you are going to get together again. Go ahead and find out the answer. It’ll be best for both of you. And she’ll appreciate the gesture.
- If you go home right after dinner, be sure to send her a text after the date. Something casual that still shows your interest like, “I had a great time. Would like to see you again.” Simple as that.
Whitney Anthony is the author of the Vehicle of Wisdom blog. She is a 24 year old graduate from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, who loves singing, writing, and performing. She is currently wrapping up her debut EP with Boyd Allen Music Group. Although she has graduated from school, Whitney considers herself a life long student. She believes that as we learn, we teach - at our best we are all teachers.