This is another question I get more than a fair share of in the ol’ inbox, but I’ve gotten a lot of messages regarding my last post on the subject.
I don’t think it’s rocket science, folks. There’s any number of reasons a guy might do this. I won’t get into the whole philosophy of why or what it means. Instead, I’ll just give you the quick hit on this.
- The guy just wants to “pad” his ego. He may or may not have any intention of talking to you further, instead, he just wants to know IF you will call or text him. Yes, I’ve done this before… My ego was never boosted. FML.
- He’s just not interested in you and offers you his number (or the rejection hotline) out of some sense of pity. How nice! Doucher!
- He’s scared of rejection. He might be afraid to ask you for his number and so you get his instead…
- A misguided sense of control. The guy may just want to take the pressure off himself and put it on to the woman. The problem, of course, is that women really don’t respond to this sort of nonsense… Trust me. FML.
- Sometimes the guy genuinely wants to know if the girl is interested; one way to do it is to see if she’ll take the initiative. It’s non traditional, but there are guys out there like this.
There are others, too, but Lost is coming on (as I write this) and I never DVR Lost, commercials and patience be damned!
How do you know which one of the above categories your guy fits into? Um… Call him! I’d like to think women have good intuition about these things, but they don’t. We’re all pretty clueless about one another, men and women. Press the action and make the call, then you needn’t wonder any longer.
Latest posts by yannibmbr (see all)
- Shit to Buy Your Man. A Christmas Buyer’s Guide - December 7, 2013
- Does OkCupid’s Profile Boost Feature Actually Work? - November 14, 2013
- The Thing and the Stuff About Dating - November 8, 2013